ABOUT JANET BENTON:
from author’s website
Janet Benton began writing early and has worked hard to give books a central place in her life. She grew up in a small, conservative town in New England but got to skip eighth grade to travel the world with her working-artist mother. She holds an M.F.A. in English/fiction writing from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and a B. A. in religious studies from Oberlin College. After working at magazines, newspapers, and publishers, running an editorial business, and teaching writing at four universities and privately, she began The Word Studio (www.thewordstudio.us) to focus on writing, editing, and working with writers. Click here to read an interview with her in Publisher’s Weekly, March 2017, called “Mothers from the Past: PW Talks with Janet Benton.” Feel free to get in touch via the Contact tab on this site.
- ESSAY, “What Makes a Story ‘Big’ or ‘Small’?” July 13, 2018, onSignature Reads.
- ESSAY, “A Feminist’s Daughter Finds Love in the Kitchen,” October 6, 2013. Read in the New York Times.
- ESSAY, “In storytelling, finding joy and understanding,” Sunday Commentary section, March 19, 2017, in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- ESSAY, “7 Works of Historical Fiction That Changed Me,” July 13, 2018, on Knopf Doubleday Reading Group Center.
- ESSAY, “Stories Have Made Me Who I Am,” July 9, 2018, on Read Her Like an Open Book.
- ESSAY, “The Power of a Diary,” May 16, 2017, onRead Her Like an Open Book.
- ESSAY on how sensory data makes readers keep reading, May 18, 2017, in Signature: Making Well-Read Sense of the World.
- ESSAY, “In the Name of Fairness, Don’t Erase Women’s History,” lead piece in Sunday Commentary section, March 20, 2016. Read in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- DOCUMENTARY, script co-writer for “Promise for a Better City (1944-1964).” Episode 3 in the series Philadelphia: The Great Experiment. Aired on 6ABC. Click title to watch.
- DOCUMENTARY, script editor and team member for “Fever: 1793.” Episode 2 in the series Philadelphia: The Great Experiment. Aired on 6ABC. Winner of three Mid-Atlantic Emmy Awards.Click title to watch.
INTERVIEWS WITH JANET BENTON:
Janet is available to visit with your book club via NovelNetwork. Join now to schedule your visit!